crowns & Bridges
Bridges and crowns are bespoke fixed devices that are cemented onto existing teeth or implants, by a dentist. Crowns are used most commonly to entirely cover or “cap” a damaged tooth or cover an implant. Your dentist may recommend a crown to:
- Replace a large filling when there isn’t enough tooth remaining
- Protect a weak tooth from fracturing
- Restore a fractured tooth
- Replace an old unsightly or ill fitting crown
- Cover a dental implant
- Cover a discoloured or poorly shaped tooth
- Cover a tooth that has had root canal treatment
Gaps left by missing teeth eventually cause the remaining teeth to shift which can result in a bad bite. This can also lead to gum disease and TMJ disorders. Bridges are commonly used if you’re missing one or more teeth. They close the space where the tooth/teeth are missing and are cemented to natural teeth or implants surrounding the space.
They can be provided instead of dentures if the gaps are small or instead of implants when indicated.The dentist will discuss your options at your consultation appointment and together you will choose which option will work best for you.